Japanese cuisine 'Donburi'
This time I am going to talk about Donburi
which has various kinds of dished with/on rice.
It's free to put any side dished to add favorite flavor.
Donburi is match in modern with the mixed style of main dish and side one so that it's easy to prepare and eat quickly.
It's also served with miso soup occationary to adjust the taste.
In history,it started to appear in the Edo era (1603–1867) in Japan.
The first donburi dish was unagi (eel) don.
In unagi don, a broiled eel was put on a cooked bowl of rice.
In this period the dish was meant to be eaten while attending the theater.
Since the meal was very easy to prepare but tasted nice,
it was very quick to spread and became quite popular.
Such donburi dish became popular after the Meiji era (1868 – 1912) in Japan.
These days it's also served as a makanai which is an after-hours meal for restaurant employees with left food materials for day.
Oyako don indicates a style of relation between chicken and egg which is just that of a parent and the child/children so that you taste both with each of special sauce.
This following is a recipe of the donburi step by step for the cook for 4 persons.
Ingredients(for 4 servings):
Egg, soy sauce, sugar, mirin, salt, vegetable oil, chicken, rice
•4 cups steamed rice
•3/4 lb chicken thighs or chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
•1 onion, thinly sliced
•1 2/3 cups dashi soup stock
•7 Tbsp soy sauce
•4 Tbsp mirin
•3 Tbsp sugar
•nori （dried seaweed） *optional
1. Put dashi soup stock in a large skillet and put on medium heat.
2. Add soy sauce, mirin, and sugar in the soup.
3. Put chicken and simmer on low heat for a few minutes.
4. Add onion slices and simmer for a few more minutes.
5. Lightly beat eggs in a bowl.
6. Bring the soup to a boil, and pour the eggs over chicken and onion.
7. Turn the heat down to low and cover with a lid.
8. After about one minute, turn off the heat.
9. Serve steamed rice into individual deep bowls, then serve simmered chicken and egg
on top of the rice.
Sprinkle strips of dried nori(seaweed) on the top as you like.
Make yourself nostalgic with the typical one.