What is a "Purikura"?
A Purikura is like an ID photo booth, but completely different from the regular photo booths you would find in other countries. It takes your picture in color, and it prints in on a sticker sheet And then, you can send the purikura picture from the machine to your phone or pc by email, or scanning the barcode on the sticker sheet if you have a scanner on your phone. You can also edit your appearance in the picture, and decorate it with stars, hearts, and even with hand written words.
How to take a purikura - Step by Step
The Photo Shoot
1. Put your money in.
2. Pick frames for your photos on the small screen in the front.
3. Pick how many frames you want the sticker sheet to be divided into.
4. Take your picture.
It will take several shots consecutively with only a few seconds in between so be prepared to pose!
If you're not sure how to pose, you can follow the models on the screen.
Decorating your purikura
5. After taking your picture, move to the sub-booth.
6. Pick the pictures you want to keep.
7. Then, decorate your picture with stamps (hearts, stars, etc.) and writing. Be creative!
Changing your appearance
8. Change your skin, hair and eye color, body shape, put on makeup, etc.
You only have 2 or 3 minutes in total to use for decorating and editing your purikura, so use your time wisely.
The remaining time will be shown on the screen.
9. Enter your e-mail address if you'd like to receive the picture data on your phone or pc.
10. Lastly, wait for the purikura sheet to print and come out. It will come out of the little opening at the bottom of the machine.
Essentially, you can make yourself look any way you want! The main idea is to make yourself look as cute as possible!
You can find the purikura machine in almost any Sega or Taito game center in Tokyo, and in famous place like Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, and Akihabara on the Yamanote Line. It is definitely something that actually lets you experience one of the trends of Tokyo in addition to our one day tour, and it also makes for a great souvenir.